Your browser is outdated!
To ensure you have the best experience and security possible, update your browser. Update now
Ph.D in veterinary science, M.sc in applied microbiology, scientist, microbiologist, microbial biofilm researcher. Currently performing my post-doctoral research at University of California Santa Cruz, focusing on survival strategies of Helicobacter pylori, with a particular focus on biofilm and genes associated with this mode of growth.
Univeristy of California, Santa Cruz
Since November 2016
- Investigating Helicobacter pylori biofilm formation and its potential role in pathogenesis in the lab of Dr. Karen Ottemann. I'm using transcriptomic and genetic approaches to identify genes associated with H. pylori biofilm growth. We also use mouse-models for H. pylori infections and imaging approaches (CSLM and SEM) to characterize the biofilm structure its components.
1. Metabolic changes associated with Helicobacter pylori biofilm. S. Hathroubi, J. Zerebinski and K. M Ottemann (in preparation for npj Biofilms and Microbiomes)
2. Helicobacter pylori biofilm involves a multi-gene stress-biased response, including a structural role for flagella. S. Hathroubi, J. Zerebinski and K. M Ottemann. 2018. mBio, doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/412239.
3. Helicobacter pylori biofilm formation and its potential role in pathogenesis. S. Hathroubi, S. L. Servetas, I. Windham, D. S. Merrell, K. M Ottemann. 2018. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews. (published, doi: 10.1128/MMBR.00001-18)
Since May 2018
- Guest lecture microbiology and pathogenesis for undergraduates and graduates: Biofilm, the social life of microorganisms. University of California, Santa Cruz (Winter-Spring session 2018 and 2019)
- Microbiology and pathogenesis METX 119-02 online, summer session online classes: Biofilm, the social life of microorganisms. Univeristy of California, Santa Cruz (Summer 2018)
- Teaching course microbial pathogenesis 2 for Master’s degree, veterinary science: Surface polysaccharides and envelope (Part_1. Microbial envelope and Part_2. Surface polysaccharides). Université de Montréal (Fall session 2015)
- Laboratory demonstrator for Master’s degree, veterinary science students: Basic practical microbiology. Université de Montréal. (2012- 2015)
University of California, Santa Cruz
- Supervising undergrad student Yasmine E. (University of California, Santa Cruz) - since August 2018
- Supervising Ph.D student Aaron C. (University of California, Santa Cruz) - since October 2017
- Supervising undergrad student Julia Z. (University of California, Santa Cruz) - October 2017-September 2018
- Supervising summer student Tyler Dewitt (University of California, Santa Cruz) - June-July 2017
- Supervising student internship Sarah-Eve Fontaine-Gosselin (University of Montreal) Bachelor of Life Science, Sherbrooke University) - January-May 2014
- # Invited speaker to 5th Workshop on bacterial and fungal biofilms, Ghent University conference Center. May 2019. Unraveling the mystery of Helicobacter pylori biofilm.
# Invited speaker to INRS-INSTITUT ARMAND-FRAPPIER October 2018. Helicobacter pylori biofilm and the unexpected role of flagella.
# Invited speaker to 2nd Technology Seminar-SandBox (UCSC_Startup incubator) September 2018. Targeting the Helicobacter pylori impenetrable biofilm.
# PBSE Research Conference 2018, Felton, California, USA. Unexpected role played by flagella during biofilm formation.
# UC Biosafety officer meeting 2018, Santa Cruz, USA. New Insights into Helicobacter pylori biofilm.
# WCBP Annual conference, 2017, Asilomar, California, USA. Novel genes associated with Helicobacter pylori biofilm growth.
# CRIPA symposium, 2016, St-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada. Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae biofilms mitigate innate immune response.
# ASM Biofilm, 2015, Chicago, USA. Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae biofilms induce lower response of porcine alveolar macrophages.
# CRIPA symposium, 2015, St-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada. Effect of sub-inhibitory concentrations of penicillin G on Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae biofilm formation.
# Phd in 180sec (3MTMC) 2014, Science on stage, Faculté de médecine vétérinaire, St-Hyacinthe, Québec Canada. Best presentation 3rd prize. Rôle du biofilm dans la pathogénicité d’Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae.
# Congrès BiSP 2013, Université Laval, Québec, Canada. Rôle des polysaccharides de surface dans la formation du biofilm chez Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae.
- # Referee/reviewer for Frontiers Microbiology
# Referee reviewer for Journal of Infection in Developing Countries
Groupe de recherche sur les maladies infectieuses du porc (GREMIP)
Since April 2011
- Site-directed mutagenesis (allelic exchange)
- Immunodetection of extracellular polymeric substance (EPS)
- EPS extraction (eDNA...)
- Biofilms culture in static and dynamic conditions
- Drip flow reactor
- Enzymatic treatments on biofilms
- Immunodot tests
- Macrophages in vivo Infection
- PBMC isolation
- Lipid A extractions and structure analysis
Centre National de Greffe de Moelle Osseuse, Faculté de médecine de Tunis
to June 2010
- Antibiotic susceptibility tests and serotyping assay of P. aeruginosa clincal strains
- Static biofilm formation and enzymatic treatments
- Curcumin and berberine chloride test on biofilm
- Biofilm genes identification
- Swarming et twitching motility
Institut de Biologie Moléculaire et Médecine, Université Libre de Bruxelles
to June 2009
- E. coli chromosomal toxin antitoxin systems identification by PCR
- Phylogenetic analyses
Université de Montréal
- Assist students and teachers in location of print and non-print resouces
- Check books and materials in and out to students and teachers using the computerized circulation system
- Monitor student use of the library
- Assist in maintaining the appearance of the library
Université de Montréal
Since September 2012
- Monitoring students during the writing of tests/exams
Microscopic identification, biochemical testing of bacteria
Antibiotic susceptibility tests and serotyping assay
Biofilms culture in static and dynamic conditions
Enzymatic and chemicals treatments on biofilms
Swarming et twitching motility tests
Drip flow reactor systems
PBMC isolation and proliferation
Gastric gland isolation
Biofilm staining and EPS detection
3D analysis (biomass, volume and thickness)
DNA and RNA extraction
EPS extraction (eDNA...)
PCR and RT-PCR
Lipid A micro-extractions
Immunodetection of extracellular polymeric substance (EPS)
Mice infection and treatments
Gastric gland isolation
Faculté de médecine vétérinaire, Université de Montréal
to September 2016
Study of micro-organisms in their natural environment. Development of techniques for culturing bacteria form biofilms. Effect of antibiotics on biofilm. Immune response towards biofilms. Phenotypic changes in biofilms cells.
1_ Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae: Role of biofilm in pathogenicity and potential impact for vaccination development. S. Hathroubi, A. Loera, J.T. Bossé, P.R. Langford and M. Jacques. 2017. Animal Health Research Review. (Published,7:1-14)
2_ Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae biofilms induce lower response of porcine alveolar macrophages. S. Hathroubi, C. Provost, C. A. Gagnon and M. Jacques. Innate immunity
3_ Biofilms: Bacterial shelters against antibiotics. S. Hathroubi, M.A Mekni, P. Domenico, D. Nguyen and M. Jacques. Microbial Drug Resistance
4_ Surface polysaccharide mutants reveal that absence of O antigen reduces biofilm formation of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. S. Hathroubi, M.A. Hancock, J.T. Bossé, P.R. Langford, Y.D.N Tremblay, J. Labrie and M. Jacques. 2015. Infection and Immunity
5_ Sub-inhibitory concentrations of penicillin G induce biofilm formation by field isolates of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. S. Hathroubi, S-È. Fontaine-Gosselin, Y.D.N. Tremblay, J. Labrie and M. Jacques. 2015. Vet Microbiology (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26130517).
6_ Les biofilms bactériens : leur importance en santé animale et en santé publique. Y.D.N. Tremblay, S. Hathroubi and M. Jacques. 2014. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24688172).
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen
to November 2012
Distinguish biofilms from planktonic bacteria both in nature and in medical related situations. Examine health care problems caused by infections involving bacterial biofilms. Design and develop biofilm models. Strategies for future research.
Université de Montréal
Since September 2011
The Ethics of animal experimentation gives me the right to experiment on animals ifor laboratory research
Université Pierre Et Marie Curie, Paris 6, France
to June 2010
A good understanding of microbiology ; bacteriology, virology, parasitology, environmental quality and health.
Project communication: GENOTYPIC AND PHENOTYPIC CHARACTERIZATION OF BIOFILM PRODUCTION IN PSEUDOMONAS AEROGINOSA STRAINS IN THE BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT CENTER OF TUNIS, TUNISIA
Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6 France
to June 2008
Scientific knowledge of biology and the general organisation of the animal and vegetable kingdoms as well as the functioning of organisms, from the molecular level to integrated biological systems.